Thursday 31 March 2011

Test Album covers



I tried to experiment with the trainspotting theme by using a text written by the lead singer of the band and adjusted by me. I asked him to explain the meaning behind the lyrics of the song i am using in my music video 'Off Peace'. The use of expletives would make this album cover more hard hitting if it were to be produced for retail. Again, if this album was going to be retailed I believe that an accurate record company to sign this band would be Roadrunner Records as they have signed such bands as Kids In Glasshouses and Madina lake who would fit the same flexible indie genre that the band I'm using 'The Zetas' would fit into. I feel that the style of the albums I have created haven't got the flair that would be expected from an album cover from such a competitive genre of indie. I shall be working on these harder as I like the written script on the front cover as I feel it would draw people in as they would be intrigued to know what it says. I also have to figure out how I would display the band name in an interesting way as I don't want it to infringe on the structure but it still has to display its importance. As you can see with these test albums (which unfortunately were printed on a black and white printer) I tried to emboss the lettering by duplicating the layer and changing the opacity of the white letter to create a slight shadow. This worked better with some rather than others as I experimented with he percentage of opacity to see how it behaved against the full white lettering in front. The band name was important for me to include so on the fourth album cover I tried to erase the embossed letters to show the letters of the band. this is difficult to see Becca's of the print out. I also tried to colour the letter which depicted the band name in the colour red. I felt red connoted danger and passion but also sophistication which I think would have suited such a young band. I like the look of the lettering in the centre as I think it is more eye catching, I also like the connections with the trainspotting monologue as it shows sophistication from the aspect of the band as trainspotting wasn't from their era as the film was released in 1996 and the band are all 16 years old. I shall experiment with this as extra colour, as I want the album to be different but still conforming to the connotations of rock and indie album covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment